2.26.2006

Secret passions

Well, most of you probably do not know that I have a small obsession with the sport of NASCAR Auto Racing--specifically the Nextel Cup. Yeah, I know there are all these stereotypes that go along with NASCAR fans--and I may even fit some of them. The funny thing is I do not get into anything but the races on Sunday--no car stickers, flags, t-shirts. I guess it really is the sport that is my secret passion. I started to watch the sport in 2000, and then got really sucked in after Dale Earnhardt, Sr., died during the Daytona 500 in 2001. My favorite driver is Dale, Jr., and I get a bit over excited when he is winning. My friends and family laugh at my interest in this sport because it does seem highly uncharacteristic of me...but the excitement of watching 43 cars run in a circle (actually an oval in most cases) at 190 miles per hour is amazing to me. I know it does not sound so great, but once you watch and learn, it is better than anything. To me it is a combination of a soap opera (the continuation of drama each week and between the drivers/teams) and sports--two of my favorite things! I guess I really come by it honestly. I can remember watching the Browns as a child with my mom, and she used to scream at the TV like they could actually hear her. I guess my verbal cheers for Dale, Jr., through the TV is a natural event for me. Well, as I finish watching today's race, I will embrace my inherited exuberance! I hope you find something to be as secretly passionate about. Peace and blessings, Lauren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home