1.17.2006

Fighting for Justice

I have known since I began this blog that I would post something about the observance of Martin Luther King Day. Many thoughts have come to mind, and my days before and the day of the observance were filled with activities to recognize this man. As I am now sitting down to write this, I have decided not to give a full reflection on my celebrations of this holiday or my views on Dr. King overall (you would be reading into next week), but to only lift up these highlights... Last Thursday I had the opportunity to hear Rev. Jesse Jackson speak at The Interchurch Center--the building where I work. This is the second time since I arrived in NYC that I have heard him speak (who hears Jesse Jackson twice in less than six months--I know I am moving in the right circles!). Though my jury is still out on some of his politics, he gave an good account of the life and passions of MLK and how his work is still relevant today. Rev. Jackson reminded me of a few things...There were 244 years of legal slavery in the US--the oppression has since continued...The Statue of Liberty was not just a gift from France, it was a gift from the abolistionists of France for the emanciaption of slaves in the US. Along with reminding me of these things, he made 2 other points that caught my attention..."Dr. King calls us to history"--it is our responsiblity to learn from our history and remember it so we continue to become better...MLK "was a freedom fighter, not a trophy to be played with once a year"--the work of Dr. King (and sooooo mnay more) has an impact on our DAILY lives that each of us needs to remember, DAILY. My weekend continued to be filled with moments like this...bible study and sermon focusing on Dr. King on Sunday, and a trip to the New York Historical Society "Slavery In New York" exibit on Monday. In all of this, I have reguvinated my passion for the work of Dr. King, but more importantly for the civil rights movement overall. Many years ago I learned that this movement would not have existed if it was not for the countless individuals who risked their lives for the fight for justice. Rev. Jackson is able to speak about these issues today because of all of those walking along side him, as was Dr. King 38 years ago before he was silenced. It is on this holiday that I not only remember Dr. King, but most importantly ALL those who have fought and died. I am sure each of them heard the words "Well done good and faithful servant." Peace and blessings, Lauren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home